Wednesday, May 4, 2011

More from Ben's blog

He's a wise man on a wonderful journey.


I feel so much lighter. Like when I’m getting out of bed, or climbing stairs. Pushups are easier. My legs are thinner. So are my arms. I have to pull my belt tighter for it to perform the same function. People say I’m looking good. My dad calls me a shadow of my former self. Soichiro told me I don’t look like a sumo wrestler anymore. My stomach doesn’t smash into the table when I sit in booths at restaurants. It doesn’t even touch the table. I fit into chairs even if they have arms. I don’t have to stretch shirts before I put them on. I can run 6.7 miles without stopping, and probably more than that. I can see veins in my arms. I’ve always wanted veins in my arms. I smile more than I used to. I laugh a lot more, too.
This is what it’s about.

The hardest part is starting.  And it’s not just about weight loss. I’m talking any form of getting your life together. All aspects. But here’s what worked for me.  Think about four months ago. Think about where you were. What were you doing? Now think about how cool it would be if the four-months-ago version of yourself decided to start at that moment. Think about where you would be now. Four months of diet and exercise. Four months without a cigarette. Four months of doing life. A lot can improve in four months.
Think about how fast the past four months have flown by. These next four are going to go just as fast. Why not start right now?

I’ve had a few people ask me what the hardest part about doing what we’re doing is.  I tell them that there is no hardest part. It’s not hard at all. And it’s true. When you’re doing it, and doing it right, you’re always happy. You want to do it, you’re not forcing yourself. It’s like if someone asked you what the worst part about winning $100 million is… There is no bad part. It’s only good.  It’s not hard for me to want to run. It’s not hard to eat right. Maybe I’m lucky, but it’s not hard to do this. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

There’s always a question about what happens when we get to our goal. Will we all of a sudden be happy? Are we going to see the world in a different light simply because we’re skinny?


It’s all about the journey. We’re becoming better people. It’s not just our health. We are becoming happier, too. Every aspect of our life is enriching because we’re taking control of our lives and allowing ourselves to be happy. Strictly getting to our goals isn’t what is going to make us feel like life is better; we’re going to be happy because we’ve gone through the bad and fought our way to the good. That’s what it’s about.

I had the urge to drive to Taco Bell and order my classic “Number-6, soft tacos, no sour cream, Sierra Mist, order of cinnamon twists.” Instead, I went to the kitchen and ate an orange and some oatmeal.
This is what it’s about.


No comments:

Post a Comment