Saturday, May 14, 2011

gingerspice asked: How often in the beginning of your weight-loss journey did you hit a wall and want to give up? Or did you at all?
I was very lucky in that I never did want to give up this time. This was my fourth attempt at it and it finally feels right. I think the biggest reason that it seems to be sticking is that I’m involved in a team, The Conway Running Club, and we compete in the Arkansas Grand Prix, so I’m constantly motivated to stay on the road running or in the gym getting stronger.
I think the number one mistake people can make when deciding to lose weight is to keep to themselves. Since it’s embarrassing to let people know you want to change your life, the instinct is to keep quiet about it. But with that attitude, it’s easier to quit. I say get involved and get friends/family involved as well. It’ll make those runs or elliptical sessions not awful.

When I was 360 pounds, I don’t think there was a time when I wasn’t insecure. It definitely took some getting used to, but if you think about it, letting a little insecurity about people seeing you fat deter you from going to the fitness center is about like people seeing you give up smoking keeping you from quitting.
What happened for me, though, was when I lost 15-20 pounds, I saw myself looking better. It didn’t matter that I was still 120 pounds overweight, I was more confident and addicted to the feeling of seeing improvements in the mirror that I relished going to the fitness center. I even began to like taking my shirt off. (Don’t worry, I’m not under the false impression that I actually look good without a shirt.)
The bottom line, though, if none of this stuff helps, is that no one gives a shit what you look like when you’re at the gym. Seriously. No one even notices you. They’re all too busy reading their O Magazine or catching up with their Soap Operas. I promise.  (Edit: and many of them will admire you simply for the nuts to be there doing it in public, not think less of you because you arrived fat.)

thehealthexperiment asked: I have to ask... do you notice a lot more attention from the ladies since losing weight?
The only way to answer this is to just say yes.
I’m not convinced that it’s 100% appearance, though. Pre-January, I never really put forth any effort. I locked myself in — literally and metaphorically. Once I started to lose weight, I gained confidence. I began feeling comfortable contributing to conversations and even engaging people. Obviously looks are a huge part, but I think finally becoming myself was the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment