Sunday, May 1, 2011

General Catching-Up

I see it has been months since I have written.  Typical for life, lots has happened since my kitty, Chilli, passed.

I finished 2 months of Boot Camp with Jeremy and Sarah at Tall Trainer.  YAY!  That rocked.  Lost 11lb and got strong for surgery.

Had my knee replaced on December 2.  I stayed in the hospital for only 7 days (exactly).  At least once a day, an attendant (nurse, aid, therapist) remarked at how young I was to be having TKR.  I assured them, there was no mistake.  I was very physically strong, which helped ease my recovery.  I was in decent pain for the first 7-8 weeks, during which time I was on narcotics.  They weren't super-helpful, but that was what I had.  I did physical therapy at FFTH three times a week for the first 2 months, then twice a week for the 3rd month, then I stopped with formal PT.  Those folks were really good to me, made me cry only once, and gave me good goals to strive for.  I have continued the conditioning and working out daily here - with walking workouts, elliptical, stationary bike, and rowing machine.  I became fond of NCIS... too fond probably, because now it is my favorite show to the exclusion of other helpful things like cleaning & chores!  I came back to work one day a week at... day 15 I think.  Twice a week by mid-January, then full time by the week of Valentines Day.  It was a WONDERFUL day when I was doing steps at PT, and realized the sound-effects and the pain WEREN'T THERE!!  No crunching.  No horrible bone-on-bone agony.  I think besides the pain, one of the most extraordinary things I discovered was, how TIRED I was, and how my brain wasn't up to speed.  I realize now it's a factor of how tired I was/am.  The more good rest I get, the better that ol' brain works.  I was reduced to one-thing-at-a-time, which isn't always practical in this life.  But I like it and I strive for it even now that I am improving.  I actually was concerned enough to have a brain scan (turns out I am fine).  I realize though how important REST is, down-time, simplifying, not carrying stress around with you.

I am starting back to Boot Camp tomorrow, May 2, and am very excited!  I am striving to consistently get more sleep, and I do know how to eat properly.  When I was sore after surgery, early January when they had to do some intense scar-tissue breaking-down at therapy, I actually forced myself to over-eat, because that was the only thing that brought me comfort.  The flavor and the satiation was the only good thing I had that day.  That did let loose my eating restraint.  It will be great to work out, to know my knee is improving, to be accountable to someone I don't want to disappoint.  Funny how knowing Sarah is going to know what I ate, is more incentive to eat right than ME knowing I shouldn't eat something!  As of this morning I am up 5lb from the morning of surgery.  Someday I will feel comfortable with giving out numbers, but not right now.  It's not even that I don't have confidence that I will be successful.  Just not really ready for that now.  Someday when I feel victorious, I will. 

Bertha passed away last weekend, Saturday, April 23 at 7:15AM.  She hadn't been right for about one day.  I don't actually know what happened to cause her to lose her life, but she just drifted off and I found her when she was nearly passed.  We zipped off to the hospital so I could put her to sleep, but she had passed on the trip in.  I cannot thank her enough for being the one in control of her passing.  That was a difficult decision for me to make for Chilli last fall, and those kittens... they are like kids to me.  I don't want to be the one, even though... that is usually the way of it.



I adopted a new cat in January; Harry's daughter Cleo.  She is a Pipsqueak, so most of the time I call her Pippy.  She is a live wire.  She LOVES her Daddy, and he her.  She's not quite tame yet...she's a bit catch-me-not.  But she likes me and we're working on the taming thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment