Monday, November 26, 2012

Progress report

It's been 12 days since surgery, and I am pleased.  I think that's important! 
  1. Discovered the beauty of flossing your teeth one-handed with the flosser gadget everyone recommended when I requested help to floss my teeth (on FB of course... jokingly!).  My new long-term favorite gadget and hygiene accessory!
  2. Saw Aaron at the post-op visit last Friday the 23rd.  He was pleased with my progress.  
    1. He removed my sutured, and felt I was a fast healer!  
    2. He was amazed at my lack of pain; he said patients regularly come in with expressions of stress and pain readable on their faces, saying they HATE them!  I am taking my pain meds regularly, but only about 3 a day.  I wonder if the pre-op AP helped?  
    3. Aaron's plan for me is increase range of motion passively over the next 6-7 weeks, until my next PR with Dr. Grimm.  My notes indicate it will be 12 weeks before strength training with a therapist.  Six months before they release me to do anything I want.
    4. Mom and I may have misunderstood the extent of the surgery.  Dr. Grimm told us he didn't have to do extensive bone surgery, and we interpreted that to mean, simply repaired the rotator tendon.  He meant he didn't do all the bone remodeling that Kevin proposed when he suggested surgery back in June.  He DID clean up arthritis, and it WAS major surgery, one of the more extensive repairs they've done.  Major disease in the joint.  Quite inflamed, lots of frayed tendons waving in the synovial fluid.  They drill a hole and implant an anchor that will eventually dissolve.  Attach 4 large-diameter sutures to the anchor and to the tendon.  He said I need to go very slowly and carefully, in order not to risk the tendon attachment.
  3. I worked out with Leslie this morning, then called Dish to help me get the recycled TV in the basement to work.  Then I bicycled and did the elliptical for another 15min before making a healthy breakfast.
I am pretty late to work, but am on my way.  After I floss my teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment