Sunday, October 11, 2009

My first horseless weekend

I was a bit surprised how excited I was last Friday, knowing I was going into the weekend with no horse encumbrances, no schedules. WOW! Giddy, giggly. It has been a pretty low-key weekend, probably could have gotten more done but I slept in and didn't follow a schedule. It was nice! It was really fun not to have to watch the clock, interrupt what I was doing at the hospital to rush back and get the horses out of the weather. I wonder about Starry, but honestly I don't really miss much else. All those years of horse ownership and now I don't miss them. The distance was already there. This time has been coming since May.

Picked up some books at BJs, and an orchid! Plan to actually read these books, plus a stack of others I've acquired this summer. One at a time.

The orchid: I never thought much about them as a plant until Gardenscape with Sherry a few years ago. They are expensive and apparently fussy. I saw one a month or so ago at BJs and almost took one then. Allen Smith says just place 3 ice-cubes on their potting medium once a week. I found them yesterday while I was shopping and sprang for one. Only $18; figured it would be a fun trial. Gave her her ice-cubes yesterday when I got home.

I'm out mowing the lawn, one more hour to go, maybe for the last time this year. It's been cool and damp. No more tomatoes, all picked; the plants are in the dumpster.

I planted and re-planted a whole bunch of hostas early last week - the 2 from the hillside at work, that weren't very happy; and all 6 plants from my front window area. Plus Millie's hostas. All now under the weeping cherry. Hope they like it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment